In today’s episode, we are focusing on the importance of making women’s sports a priority as part of our “10 components to include in your sports marketing today” series. This is the 10th and final component we are discussing so if you have missed the first 9, make sure to listen to those too. To quickly recap, these are the 10 components to include in your sports marketing today that we have already discussed:
- Adopt a supporter-centric approach
- Personalization as a driver of revenue and fan loyalty
- Why you should work data-driven
- Content is King
- Why you should Prioritize OTT
- The importance of Leveraging your social media platforms
- Leveraging Influencer marketing to drive personal connections
- Incorporate new sponsorship opportunities
- Why you should make social justice a key component of your marketing strategy
And finally today, we are discussing the importance of making women’s sports a priority. Please note, that we are not saying make women’s sports a priority over men’s. But rather that, women’s sports deserve the same push and support that men’s sports have been getting for decades and decades.
This is an area that we are passionate about at Data Talks and over the course of the year, we have worked hard in this area. Our goal has always been and still remains, to create tangible value for women’s sports. We started off with our profiling program where we aimed to bring the tangible value of increasing the visibility of women in sports. The many women who have been on this podcast for our "In conversations with..." sessions were thanks to our initiative women in sports: beyond the hashtag.
Since then, we have also launched a women in sports community where everyone involved within the women’s sports space is welcome to join. There is power in coming together under the same mission and working together to accomplish that mission. If you would like to also join our initiative, find the link in the description below.
If you too would like to make women’s sports a priority, here are a few tips:
- First and foremost, be authentic - doing things for the sake of marketing is never a good idea. It brings more harm than good so whatever you do, let it be authentic.
- Start where you are. With the resources you have today, what difference can you make? For us, it was starting our profiling program. We had great storytellers and enough resources to get started so we focused on that.
- Focus on value - don’t just do something for the sake of just doing it. Think about what value you want to create for others and what value they can create for you. The emphasis here is on tangible and shared value.
- Grow and expand naturally - it is important to not try to force things to grow in a specific direction but to make sure that the growth you see is organic and natural. Once again, for us, the natural way to expand and grow was to create a platform, where all the fantastic people we had profiled can meet and collaborate, amongst other things.
- Last but not least, stay collaborative - “alone we can do so little, together we can do so much”
Join our community to meet other people who are passionate about the sports industry!